The Venice Fire Department requires candidates to pass several levels of testing prior to receiving Florida certification. Completing an application and a written fire aptitude test, which comes from the fourth edition of Essentials of Firefighting, is the first step in the process. The second level is an agility test. Dates for this test are posted on this Web site as information is available. To register, or for information, contact the city of Venice Administrative Services Department, (941) 486-2626, Ext. 21003 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Venice is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As part of our Drug Free Workplace program, successful candidates must pass a drug screen and pre-employment physical exam. In accordance with the Immigration Reform Act, appropriate identification documents verifying eligibility for employment will be required. Reasonable accommodations will be made during the employment process for qualified applicants with disabilities. For further information regarding the recruitment and selection process, please call or visit the City's Administrative Services Department.
VENICE FIREMEDIC (FIREFIGHTER/EMT) QUALIFICATIONS
1. Be a citizen of the United States or must have applied for citizenship.
2. Be a minimum of eighteen (18) years of age.
3. Have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
4. Have no conviction of any felony or misdemeanor directly related to the position of being sought. Having no plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge. (As prescribed by Florida Statutes 633.34.)
5. Have a good moral character as determined by investigation.
6. Be in good physical condition as stipulated by the Bureau of Fire Standards and Training and determined by a Florida licensed physician. Also must be able to pass a drug screening test.
7. Be a non-user of tobacco or tobacco products for at least one (1) year prior to the date of application (as prescribed by Florida Statutes 633.34).
8. Weight proportionate to height.
9. Vision 200/100 - 20/40 without glasses, corrected to 20/40-20/20 with glasses.
10. Pass aptitude test with 70 percent or better.
11. Pass physical agility test. (Eligibility good for one-year from date of tests; must then be re-taken and passed to maintain eligibility.)
12. Not have falsified his/her application or personnel history.
13. Possess a valid Florida driver's license.
14. Be certified by the State of Florida as a firefighter and have a current EMT certification issued by the State of Florida.